DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) is a diet meant for those with high blood pressure, usually recommended to patients by their doctors. Luckily, multiple DASH diet meal delivery services can help make the transition to a healthier lifestyle easier.
Below, you’ll learn about DASH diet basics and some top meal delivery service options to help you stay on track.
What Is Dash Diet? The DASH Diet Basics
The DASH diet focuses on nutritious meals high in nutrients like potassium, calcium, and magnesium. These nutrients have been shown to decrease blood pressure. Additionally, those on the DASH diet are meant to avoid high-sodium meals, added sugars, and saturated fat.
When following the DASH diet, aim for meals loaded with vegetables, whole foods, and clean ingredients while keeping an eye on the sodium levels.
Lots Of Veggies
This diet calls for 4 to 5 servings of veggies per day. You’ll need to include one cup of raw or 1/2 cup of cooked vegetables four times daily. You can also drink 1/2 cup of vegetable juice, which counts as one serving.
When eating according to this diet, focusing on simple ingredients you can recognize is a must. That way, you can avoid unnecessary sugar and salt. So, a meal delivery service that notes a lot of fiber-rich veggies, locally sourced ingredients, and leaner protein (chicken, fish, etc.) is a great option.
Avoiding processed foods is an excellent way to stick to the DASH diet. Many processed foods come loaded with salt, so it’s best to avoid them as much as possible. When creating recipes from scratch or ordering fully prepared meals with low sodium, you can control your intake more efficiently by selecting whole foods (or meals using whole foods).
As mentioned, a significant part of the DASH diet is selecting low-sodium food or preparing meals with less salt. Ensure you read the nutrition facts on prepared meals during the selection process. When creating meals at home, use salt-free spices, select protein that is not preseasoned, and skip vegetables with flavoring for plain ones.
What Is The Different Between DASH & Low Sodium Diet?
The primary difference between a standard DASH diet and a low-sodium diet is the amount of salt you consume daily. With a regular DASH diet, you’ll aim for 2,300mg of salt per day. The number drops to 1,500mg of salt or less daily on a low-sodium diet.
Best Meal Delivery Service Options For Easy Diet
These meal delivery service options range from focusing on plant-based foods to organic meals, depending on your needs.
Dietitian-approved Prepared Meals Made With Whole Foods. No Prep, Cooking, or Cleanup!
BistroMD is a top choice for those following a doctor-prescribed DASH diet since registered dieticians craft the meals. The primary focus of this meal delivery service is providing prepared meals that taste good yet are low in sodium.
The Heart Healthy Program includes options like turkey breast with herbed brown gravy, stuffed grape leaves with tomato sauce, and grilled salmon with creamy pesto. You can order breakfast, lunch, and dinner through this program. Each meal comes fully prepped, you simply need to heat it, and it’s ready to eat.
- Each meal plan is customized to your needs and taste preferences.
- Additional meal plans are available for those who are gluten-free, diabetic, menopausal, etc.
- No cook time is required; simply heat and eat.
- Select the program that works best for you – all meals supplied by BistroMD or only lunch and dinner.
- Healthy snacks are available to keep you full between meals.
BistroMD DASH Dietary Restrictions Sample Meals
- Stuffed grape leaves with tomato sauce & veggies
- Grilled salmon with creamy pesto & roasted cauliflower
- Lean beef and whole wheat bun sloppy joe with cabbage slaw
2. Green Chef
Healthy & Organic Meal Kits
While Green Chef does not have a set menu for heart-healthy meals, they provide nutritionist-approved options. This meal kit delivery company also includes high-quality meat, wild-caught salmon, and organic produce and eggs for nearly all meals. Meaning their meals are made with whole foods and clean ingredients. You can easily opt for leaner meats when selecting meals. Each meal has nutrition facts listed so you can check the sodium amount. They have various meal plans, including meals that fit keto, gluten-free, and Mediterranean diet preferences.
Green Chef Benefits
- Nutritionist-approved meals.
- CCOF-certified organic meal kit company.
- Meal kits use whole foods and clean ingredients.
- Easily adjust the salt content of meals while crafting them at home.
- Fast & healthy eating breakfast & lunch options.
Green Chef DASH Dietary Restrictions Sample Meals
- Barramundi over carrot-ginger salad with cashews, sesame seeds & mint
- Salmon with red pepper & raisin couscous
- Fast breakfast – Mylk Labs Almond Oatmeal with roasted almonds & organic coconut sugar
3. Splendid Spoon
Best Plant-Based Smoothies, Grain Bowls, And Noodles For DASH Diet
A plant-based diet generally encourages you to consume whole foods, lean protein sources, more produce, and less salt, making it an excellent option for those on a DASH diet. Many of the ingredients in a plant-based diet are nutrient-rich and flavorful, ensuring each meal is satisfying.
The Splendid Spoon meals are made by chefs and designed by registered dietitians to ensure your nutrient needs are met. As a bonus, all meals are plant-based, gluten-free, and non-GMO. You can easily select lower-sodium meals each week via a filter. So, choosing DASH-friendly meals is quite easy.
Splendid Spoon Benefits
- Easy to navigate to lower sodium meals via website filter.
- Option to choose 7, 14, or 21 meals each week.
- Around 24 low-sodium meals are available each week (excluding smoothies).
- No prep or clean up; all meals are ready to eat after heating.
Splendid Spoon DASH Diet Sample Meals
- Falafel dish with creamy hummus & tabouli
- Coconut curry rice bowl with garbanzo beans and kale
- Butternut turmeric soup
DASH Diet Meals Delivered For Clean Eating
Another great option for those with busy schedules, Trifecta has an array of healthy meals and meal plans to select from. Specifically, their Clean Meal Plan option seems to best fit the bill for the DASH diet. Most meals in this plan fall between 300 and 500mg of salt, putting them on the lower end of the meal delivery service options.
Additionally, these meals feature large portions so that you can stay satisfied for a while after each meal. They’re made with unprocessed, whole foods. So, each dish is free from preservatives and artificial ingredients.
- No processed, artificial ingredients – only whole foods.
- No prep time; meals are heated in the microwave.
- Flavorful chef-crafted heat-and-eat meals.
- Low-sodium meal options that are filling.
- A personalized plan to help you meet your health goals.
Trifecta DASH Diet Sample Meals
- Salmon, Brown Rice & Mixed Vegetables
- Chicken Breast, Sweet Potato & Mixed Vegetables
- Pulled Chicken With Butternut Squash & Green Beans
When following the DASH diet, focus on consuming non-processed, clean ingredients with as little added salt and sugar as possible. With these guidelines in mind, you’ll find the DASH lifestyle easier to adapt to.
If you don’t have time to meal prep or cook healthy, DASH-friendly meals during the week, meal kits, and meal delivery services are a great workaround. For the most DASH-friendly meal companies, BistroMD and Trifecta are great options. They feature low-sodium, heart-healthy ready-to-eat meals. Whether you’re interested in eating plant-based or prepped meals that are ready in minutes, there’s a meal kit company that fits your needs.