Last Updated on
We write our honest review on each company or product, however, we receive a sales commission or other compensation on the products we review. That helps us to support this website. Prices can vary due to changes in promotions or policies. See our full disclosures here.
What are the main differences of meal kits services and prepared meals delivery and which option is best for you?
In our hectic world, where life often gets crazy, many people have started looking for ways to simplify their lives wherever possible. This includes our eating habits, and that is where meal kit services and prepared meal delivery services can come in handy. Even though both types of companies offer ways to make your eating life easier, the services offered by the two styles of companies are quite different, and that can be very confusing. We are here to help you better understand the distinctions between the two services, which will make choosing the best option to suit your personal needs all the easier! So, let’s dive in and explore the two types of services offered.
What is a meal kit delivery service?
A meal kit delivery service is a subscription-based service that sends a box of pre-portioned ingredients for recipes of your choice. All that you need to do is prep the ingredients, cook them following the recipe page you get as part of the kit, and serve. Some meal kits require chopping, slicing and similar prep steps. In most cases, when registering to a meal kit delivery services, you sign up for a certain number of meals per week. The plans are flexible, allowing for changes in meal items and skipping weeks as needed.
Who is it for?
The meal kit delivery service is most suitable for people who wish to enjoy first-class home cooked meals, but want to avoid the time spent looking for new recipes to cook and going grocery shopping.
Benefits of using a meal kit delivery service:
- Chef-crafted meals that require no shopping: Who has the time to look for new recipes and go out and buy an endless number of ingredients? With meal kits, all the planning and shopping is done for you. You receive all the ingredients already pre-portioned, so all you need to do is to enjoy the cooking and eating.
- Diet diversity: using meal kit companies means enjoying a large, diverse and inspiring weekly changing menu. This usually includes recipes that you wouldn’t normally cook at home. Some companies now even specialize in specific diet programs like Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and more.
- Economical: Unbelievably, using meal kits will save you money. From our experience, when looking at the high quality ingredients that are used in meal kits, the price is more than reasonable. Also, using meal kit services will mean that you are less inclined to use expensive and unhealthy take-out services. Finally, using meal kit services means that you waste less food. When grocery shopping for our weekly meal requirements, it is very hard to buy specifically what we need and there is often a great deal of waste. With meal kits, as they come pre-portioned, you get the exact amount of ingredients that you need. Which means less waste. Your food disposal will thank you!
- Quality of ingredients: Meal kit services make sure that they supply only fresh ingredients, sourced from local, sustainable and high-quality producers.
What is a prepared meal delivery service?
A prepared meal delivery service delivers a box of fully prepared and cooked meals. The service is also known as a “prep-meals service” or a “meal-prep service”. Some of the meal prep companies offer a subscription-based service, while others give you a more flexible option of ordering what you want, when you want it. Most prepared meal delivery services are focused on providing healthy and well-balanced meals. Many of them also cater for special dietary needs like weight-loss, vegetarian, low-carb, paleo, gluten- free and more.
Who is it for?
Prepared meal delivery companies offer a life-changing solution for those of us who want to maintain healthy eating habits, but who are too busy to cook, have little inclination to cook or would simply rather be anywhere but in the kitchen!
The meal prep service is also very attractive for people who wish to lose weight, since many of these companies offer an amazing solution for weight-loss. Many of them also provide wonderful solutions for those who need/want to follow a specific diet.
Benefits of using a prepared meal delivery service:
- Convenience and time-saving: A prepared meal delivery service delivers meals to your door that require no cooking at all! You just need to heat the meals via a microwave or oven and enjoy them!
- Balanced and controlled eating: Basically, all the prep meals services are super healthy and created to take care of your special dietary needs. It doesn’t matter whether it is a weight loss diet, gluten-free or vegan, regardless what your needs are, a prep meals service will cater for them.
- Quality of ingredients: Most meal prep companies use only the freshest of ingredients in their meals that are sourced from local, sustainable and high-quality producers.
- Variety of meals: When you have a busy schedule, you can often feel like you are stuck in a rut when it comes to your meals. Prepared meal services not only provide a healthier way of eating, but they also deliver a very diverse way of eating. All meal prep services offer large weekly changing menus that include amazing meals options that cater for every taste and need.
- Economical: You might think that using a prepared meal service is expensive, but they are surprisingly affordable. In fact, in most cases, you will only pay around $9-$10 per serving for a delicious, high quality and well- balanced meal. This price is even more attractive when you consider the quality of ingredients and the fact that they save you so much time. Also, it will usually mean that you reduce the amount of money spent on take outs or ordering-in.
Hopefully this information sheds some light on the differences between meal kit delivery services and prepared meal delivery services. By understanding the differences, you should now be able to better identify the service that’s best suited your needs.