Welcome to our Sunbasket Review
Sunbasket is all about organic and healthy meal choices. The company works with 100+ farms to ensure the supply of the best organic produce in their pre-portioned meal kits. The company only uses responsibly raised poultry and meats, sustainably sourced seafood, and they only work with trusted suppliers.
Sunbasket was created in 2014 in California by Justine Kelly – an award-winning chef. She co-founded the company with the philosophy of supplying organic meals for a healthy lifestyle and special dietary requirements. Hence, the Sunbasket weekly menu includes gluten-free, vegetarian, paleo, diabetes-friendly, Mediterranean recipes, and more.
Sunbasket is also passionate about the environment and offers entirely green eco-friendly packaging.
Who is Sunbasket for
If you are all about organic and healthy food, or if you are following a specific diet – Sunbasket is your BEST choice. Sunbasket is also a great meal kit alternative for busy people who wish to eat healthily. The company offers many speedy and ready-to-heat meals as part of its weekly menu.
Sunbasket Main Benefits
- Healthy, organic, and sustainably sourced ingredients
- Amazing variety of 25 recipes every week!
- Supports many diets like vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free and more
- Speedy pre-prepped and Fresh and Ready to heat meal options
- Easy-to-follow recipes, ready in 30 minutes or much less
- Option to customize dinners with multiple protein options – organic meats, wild-caught seafood, tofu and more.
- Many healthy add ons – proteins, organic pasta, snacks, and breakfast options
- 100% money-back guarantee on all meals if contact is made with Sun Basket within seven days of delivery.
- Option for one-time purchase
Sun Basket meal delivery service offers two plan options:
- 2-person plan– providing three meals per week for two or four people. As part of this plan, you can choose between several sub-plans, based on different lifestyle and dietary restrictions. For example, paleo, low-carb, Mediterranean, gluten-free, lean & clean, dairy-free, low-calorie, vegan, vegetarian, speedy, pescatarian, and more.
- Family plan – offering two to four meals per week for four people. In this plan, the company also provides the option of a vegetarian sub-plan.
The Sunbasket weekly menu contains 25 different meals every week and many add-on options. You are not required to stick to one sub-plan and can mix and match meals from different diets if you wish.
Sunbasket is also one of the only meal kit companies that offer the option to make a one-time purchase, with no subscription needed!
How to Get started with Sunbasket
Getting started with Sunbasket is a breeze!
You simply sign up for the Sunbasket service via their website or app, choose your plan and select your meal planning. There are plenty of meal options to work with, including options for special diets.
Once you have made your selections, you’ll receive the Sun Basket box, with all your meal kit ingredients already pre-portioned, packaged, and labeled. All you need to do is unpack, follow the easy-to-follow recipes, and enjoy healthy meals!
With Sunbasket, you get the flexibility to skip weeks if needed, and you can swap recipes as you wish. You can cancel the subscription at any time, so you only order what you want when you want it. There are no overwhelming commitments with Sunbasket! The company is also one of the only meal kit delivery services to offer a one-time purchase, with no subscription needed.
Are The Sun Basket Meals Tasty?
At the Meal Kit Review, we take pride in hands-on ordering, cooking, and tasting all the meal kit services we review. Sun Basket was no exception. Over the last few years, we have tried the Sun Basket service many times, and we can honestly say that every experience we have had has been wonderful!
Everything, from the huge range of 25 meals to the quality of ingredients, and most importantly the delicious result, has always been satisfying! Some of the dishes we tried and loved are the simple steak salad with sweet potatoes, the sesame-crusted salmon with scallions, and the easy fusilli with Neapolitan ragù.
Sun Basket is very keen on creating nutritionally balanced meals. The company’s culinary team contains registered dietitians who have established formal nutritional standards. This standard follows the recommendations of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines, as well as much other nutrition and health research.
Every Sun Basket recipe is developed to deliver a nutrient-rich dinner. All meals include high-quality, organic, and sustainably sourced ingredients. In a nutshell, here is the breakdown of the Sun Basket nutrition code:
- Calories: Sun Basket meals provide between 550 to 750 calories, which is supposed to be about 30% of the recommended daily intake of 2,000 calories. Recipes from their Lean & Clean plan are low-calorie and contain 600 calories or less.
- Protein: Almost all Sun Basket recipes provide at least 20 grams of protein per serving, which is about 40% of the recommended daily intake.
- Fat: Sun Basket is focusing on using ‘good’ unsaturated fats, sourced from olive oil, nut oil, seeds, avocados, tahini, etc.
- Carbohydrates: When it comes to carbs, Sun Basket focuses very much on the source, not the number. Most meals contain complex carbs like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, and limit the use of simple carbs such as refined grains and sugars.
- Fiber: The Sun Basket meals are usually rich in fiber, providing 5 grams or more per serving. This is usually sourced from fruits, vegetables, and complex carbs.
- Sodium: The Dietary Guidelines recommend limiting sodium to 2,300 mg per day. Sun Basket tries to keep sodium levels to 800 mg or less per serving. Remember that you can control sodium levels by adding less salt when seasoning or using only a portion of the sauces included in some recipes.
- Sugar: Sun Basket keeps added sugars to a minimum. They prefer to use unrefined sweeteners such as honey, coconut nectar, or maple syrup, to name a few. Their Lean & Clean dishes generally have no added sugar.
The Sun Basket Box – Is It Well Organized And Eco-friendly?
Sun Basket delivers its meal kits in specially designed and labeled carton boxes. There is almost no sorting required since the contents are well organized. The ingredients of each dish are individually wrapped and labeled in paper bags. In the Sun Basket box, the cooled items are packed at the bottom of the box, surrounded by an appropriate amount of ice. This ensures that the boxes can stay outside for a few hours after delivery without requiring refrigeration.
As part of Sunbasket green philosophy, it is one of their top priorities to make sure the organic ingredients arrive in the most environmentally responsible packaging. This also ensures that the ingredients of your meal are kept fresh and come in optimum condition. The Sun Basket team includes packaging designers who are committed to developing fully recyclable and compostable materials for their delivery boxes.
Finally, the company chooses its partners carefully, making sure that most of its packaging is recyclable or compostable.
Quality of ingredients:
Sun Basket makes the AMAZING promise that everything they use includes organic and sustainably sourced ingredients. The ingredients that Sun Basket delivers directly to your home all come from a range of trusted suppliers. Fishermen, farmers, and fresh produce growers all ascribe to eco-friendly methodology and responsible farming practices.
Sun Basket Popular Meals
Sun Basket offers a diverse and exciting, healthy, and organic menu. To tempt your tastebuds, here are some of the most popular meals from Sun Basket:
- Korean beef skewers with pear slaw and sesame seeds
- Black bean–cauliflower tostadas diablo with tangy cabbage slaw
- Rainbow quinoa–black bean tacos with guacamole and cabbage slaw – an oven-ready meal!
- Japanese Chauhan stir-fried rice with eggs, peas, and spinach
- Salmon with lemon-oregano sauce and artichoke-fregola pilaf
- Creamy mushroom penne with baby spinach and almonds – an oven-ready meal!
Sun Basket Meal Variety And Style
The Sun Basket weekly menu offers a huge amount of 25 dinner dishes! If you are following a special diet, Sun Basket has you covered! The company menu includes options for vegetarian, vegan, paleo, gluten-free, Mediterranean, lean & clean diet, dairy-free diet and many more. Meals are generally designed to be very easy to cook, with many meal options available that are categorized as “Speedy” meals or “Fresh and Easy” meals.
The Sun Basket menu includes many different culinary styles so that customers can enjoy a tasting trip around the world. You can find many Asian-style dishes, classic American dishes with a healthy twist, Mexican-style dishes, European, Mediterranean dishes, and more!
Finally, Sun Basket makes an extra effort to provide a healthy food experience, by offering the option of many add-ons to your regular delivery. These add-ons include fresh pasta, protein packs, healthy juices, snacks, organic yogurts, and much more.
Sunbasket Website & app
Sunbasket offers a user-friendly website and app. Everything you need in order to manage your account or order can be done online. You can register, select your plan, and desired meals for each week ahead. Moreover, you can specify dietary preferences, change your payment method, update your details, and cancel your account. Our team made some changes to their order with the app – and everything was effortless to do.
The Sunbasket website or app also displays information on each dish, including the list of ingredients, nutritional facts, cooking processes, cooking times, and more.
Sunbasket Delivery Area And Shipment
Sunbasket, like Blue Apron or Home Chef, currently ships to 48 states. The company ships to most zip codes in the US, excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and parts of MT, NM, and ND.
Sunbasket Customer Support
- The Sun Basket website offers a detailed help center, incuding answers to the most commonly asked questions – https://sunbasket.com/help
- You can text Sun Basket at +1 408-669-4101 to get in touch with a member of Sun Basket Customer Support.
- You can chat with Sun Basket customer support via the button located at the bottom right of their website.
- You can phone Sun Basket on (855) 204-7597
The Sunbasket support team is available Monday to Friday between 8 a.m.–5 p.m. PT.
Bottom line – Do we recommend Sunbasket?
So there you have it! Our full Sunbasket review – we truly believe that Sun Basket is a winner! Sunbasket makes it easy for individuals, couples, and families to pursue a healthier lifestyle with its wide range of healthy meal options, including coverage for any special dietary requirements or lifestyle you might have. The quality of the organic products is amazing, and all the recipes we personally tried were delicious.
If you haven’t tried Sunbasket already, we highly recommend giving it a try!