To be honest, all meal kit services across the board offer boxes for a minimum of 2 people. This does not mean they are not suitable for singletons.
You can easily subscribe to a two-person plan and save the leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day. You could even occasionally invite a friend or a date home for an impressive home-cooked meal!
We also found some prepared meal delivery services that offer great solutions for single people.
You can access our coupons here.
To make sure this article is accurate and relevant, we asked a group of singles from our team to rank their preferred meal kit services.
The following are the best meal kits for one person:
Blue Apron is the first and one of the most loved meal kit services in the US.
Their meals are chef-designed and have a real restaurant-quality to them!
With Blue Apron, you can enjoy cooking amazing meals with high-quality ingredients in your kitchen.
1. Blue Apron Meal Kits for One Person
In 2012, Blue Apron was the first meal kit service to operate in the USA. Blue Apron has withstood the test of time, remaining a highly rated and known meal kit service in the country.
Blue Apron is focused on keeping dinner interesting. The menu includes tasteful and attractive dishes that you can cook at home with an easy step-by-step recipe card.
Blue Apron is an excellent meal kit service for singles who want to learn new cooking skills, try new tastes, and eat restaurant-quality meals at home, at a fraction of the cost of most decent take-outs.
Here are a few great examples of Blue Apron meals for singles:
- Black Bean & Caramelized Onion Taco with Roasted Zucchini
- Togarashi Popcorn Chicken with Hoisin Mayo & Sweet Chili Slaw
- Orange-Glazed Meatballs with Vegetables & White Rice
- Spanish-Spiced Salmon & Farro With Roasted Vegetables & Salsa Verde
HelloFresh is the largest global company in the meal kit industry, offering many healthy eating meals every week.
The Hello Fresh meals are packed with the freshest ingredients and can suit the needs of singles, couples, and families. The menu features low-calorie, vegetarian, pescatarian, and fast & easy recipes.
2. Hello Fresh- One Person Meal Kit
Hello Fresh is all about making your weeknight dinners easy and delicious. The company is the #1 meal kit brand in the US. They live up to their name by offering various likable meals, and including the freshest ingredients in their meal kits.
Hello Fresh delivers farm-fresh produce and high-quality meats, poultry, and seafood, that you would love to eat. Hello Fresh does not offer a 1-person plan, but there is the option of a 2-person plan. You can easily prepare the recipe for two and save the extra meal for your lunch or dinner the following day.
All the Hello Fresh recipes are classic and relatively simple to make. A perfection option if you have a busy life and little spare time to be wasting in the kitchen.
Most importantly, every meal we tried from their menu was delicious! Their menu is made up of a large variety of 20 meal choices weekly. You will find excellent vegetarian options within the menu, children and family-friendly meals, gourmet-style meals, calorie-smart dishes that are low in calories, etc.
Some meals we loved the most from the Hello Fresh menu were:
- Figgy balsamic pork with roasted green beans and rosemary potatoes
- Salsa verde enchiladas with poblano pepper, black beans, and Monterey Jack cheese
- Juicy Lucy burgers with tomato onion jam and potato wedges
TLDR Dinnerly Review:
Their meals are simple, delicious, and easy to cook – and start at just $4.69 per serving!
All the Dinnerly meals are designed with five easy steps, so you can say goodby to stressful meal planning and trips to the grocery store.
3. Dinnerly- Meal Kits For Singles
As a singleton, you will love the Dinnerly promise – a large weekly variety of meals at the most affordable price of less than 5$ per serving!
Dinnerly is an excellent meal kit service to use if you want easy cooking, with classic and commonly liked dishes. The company provides a wide variety of 16 tasty meals to cook at home every week.
Many of the Dinnerly meals are things you can cook and save the extra meal for your next-day lunch at the office. From our intense experience with Dinnerly, even though the meals are relatively cheap, they show an excellent standard for ingredients quality.
Like many meal kit services, Dinnerly offers a range of recipes to fit different diets and lifestyles – vegetarian, one-pot cook, no gluten added, and low-calorie meals.
Some of the meals you can find in the Dinnerly menu are:
- Weeknight 3-Cheese Lasagna with Garlicky Marinara Sauce
- Beef Egg Roll Stir-Fry with Cabbage & Jasmine Rice
- Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf with Peas & Mashed Potatoes
Home Chef is all about simplifying home cooking. The company delivers fun, familiar meals that are always with an exciting twist.
Home Chef meals are effortless to cook. The menu includes a selection of 30 minutes meal kits, express meal kits, and even Oven Ready Meals!
***New*** Fresh and Easy By Home Chef
4. Home Chef- Meal Kits for One Person
Home Chef is also one of our favorite meal kit services. The company is all about classic home cooking that usually involves a tasty twist and uses amazing farm-fresh ingredients. Home Chef is suitable for couples and singles who love delicious, home-cooked meals that take no longer than 30-40 minutes to cook!
The company has also gone the extra mile in adding some new features to their menu such as:
- ‘Home Chef express meals’ – recipes designed to be ready to eat in only 15 minutes.
- ‘Home Chef oven-ready’ meals which are highly convenient meals that require minimum preparation. Simply put them in the oven, and they are ready in a few minutes.
- Unique “Customize It” feature, available on many of their menu items. This means that you have the option to swap, double, and even upgrade the protein in relevant meals.
Some of our favorite dishes from the Home Chef menu:
- Salmon bruschetta
- Orange-garlic shrimp
- Pork tenderloin with a brown sugar demi
5. Sun Basket Meal Kits for Singles
Sun Basket makes healthy cooking easy! The company use only organic and sustainably sourced ingredients. The company menu offers an outstanding selection of 25 weekly dinner recipes and many extra lunch options, proteins, and snacks! The Sun Basket weekly selection includes creative and healthy recipes with seasonal produce.
Sun Basket offers menu choices to support many dietary needs, including pescatarian, vegetarian, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean (low-calorie count), vegan, Paleo, and more!
Sun Basket is also one of the first and only meal services to offer several breakfast and lunch options. That includes salads along with unique sauces and snacks. The menu also features additional meats, seafood, fresh pasta, and more.
Here are some great options to choose from the Sun Basket menu:
- Lamb korma with sweet potato mash and toasted naan
- Turkey taco bowls with brown rice, black beans, and pico de gallo
- 5 – minutes lunch – organic rainbow Asian salad
Sun Basket can deliver with distribution to all 48 continental states of the USA and offers an option for a one-time purchase.
6. Fresh and Easy- New kid on the block- for singles
If you are a busy singleton with a demanding lifestyle that includes work, fitness, social, and family commitments, you probably have little time to cook well. It becomes easier to resort to having breakfast on the run, buying lunch at work, and grabbing some takeout on the way home.
Luckily Home Chef has recently launched the Fresh and Easy Plan, which is an excellent way of helping you eat better. The healthy, delicious meals in the plan take no time to prepare, while also saving you a substantial amount of money!
The Fresh and Easy Plan is ideal for a busy single person at the end of a long day. Their convenient options include oven-ready meals that come complete with a disposable oven-tray. No preparation or clean up!
The menu also includes slow-cooker meals, entrée salads, 15-minute prep meals, and grill-ready meals. The Fresh and Easy Plan allows you to order from a weekly changing menu that also provides low-carb and low-calorie options.
Fresh and Easy delivers to 98% of the united states.
Here are some of our favorite dishes from the current Fresh and Easy Plan menu:
- Caprese Steak Strip Mini Flatbreads with Mozzarella – ready in 15 minutes
- Chili Lime Pork Chop with Teriyaki Broccoli – grill-ready
- Italian Sausage and Tomato Couscous with peppers – oven-ready
7. Martha and Marley Spoon Meal Delivery for one person
When you think of comforting all-American food, Martha Stewart is one of the first names to come to mind. That is what makes her meal kit company, Martha & Marley Spoon, an excellent option for busy singletons!
Martha & Marley Spoon operates worldwide, offering the ultimate home cooking experience in the USA, Germany, Austria, Australia, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
The weekly menu of Martha & Marley Spoon features 22 different recipes, divided into a range of categories, which include Health & Diet, Vegetarian & Vegan, Meat & Fish, Under 30 Minutes, and more. Regardless of your culinary preferences, you will be sure to find something delicious and enjoyable to meet your needs.
Moreover, many of their weekly recipes are generous enough to allow you to save a serving for your lunch or dinner the next day. That makes the service very attractive to singles!
From our experience with the Martha & Marley Spoon, you are guaranteed to receive high-quality ingredients for classic and tasty recipes. These recipes result in well-balanced and comforting meals that are full of vegetables and other healthy ingredients.
Here are our some popular singles meals from Martha & Marley Spoon:
- Faster-Than-Takeout Chicken Wonton Stir-Fry with Sugar Snap Peas
- Cavatappi & Pork Ragu with Spinach Salad & Italian Dressing
- Filipino Chicken Adobo with Veggie Fried Rice
8. EveryPlate meal kit option for singles
EveryPlate is a great meal kit option if you are a single person on a tight budget. Every plate is an affordable meal kit option – with meals cost only 5$ per serving!
The company does not offer a one-person plan, but they have a 2-person plan with plenty of options that would taste great for next-day lunch or dinner!
Their menu selection of twelve meals per week contains many familiar classics that are also not very hard to prepare – so it can fit perfectly with your hectic singleton lifestyle.
Here are the most popular Every Plate meals:
- Roasted Dijon butter steak with Brussels and mashed sweet potatoes
- Cajun chicken sausage penne with Monterey jack
- Beef banh mi bowl
- Stuffed squash with couscous, Brussels sprouts, and cranberries
Here are a few factors that we recommend considering when choosing the meal kit service best suited your single life needs:
- Style of dishes – each person has their favorite flavor and style preferences. Some are looking for more classic or easy-to-cook meals, while others are looking for new kitchen challenges. We encourage you to look at the menus in advance and choose the meal kit service that offers meals that are suited to your tastes and preferences.
- Variety of meals per week – not all meal kit services offer the same number and type of meals every week. Some offer eight meals per week, and others offer up to 25 different meal choices every week.
- Price – not all meal kit delivery services are priced the same. The price can vary substantially, and you should look at the price and choose the service that best suits your budget.
- Special dietary needs – many meal kits services offer menus that support special diets like vegetarian, vegan, keto, paleo, and more. If you follow a special diet, some companies have got you covered!
- Flexibility – in our hectic world, our day-to-day lives can be, at times, unpredictable. When looking for a meal kit delivery service, you should try to make sure that the service you choose offers a degree of flexibility. Find one that will allow you to skip weeks when needed and cancel your membership at any time with no added fees or penalties.
What do singlets need from a meal delivery service?
Modern life for one-person can be hectic and demanding. Something that is always needed is more time. Often the first thing that gets overlooked when juggling a million things is the eating habits. That includes finding time to go to the grocery store or preparing delicious and healthy meals at home.
If you have a busy career, finding the extra time to recipe plan, grocery shop, and meal prep can be all but impossible. Busy single people often have demanding social lives, are physically active and need to satisfy their families’ expectations.
No wonder so many people resort to take-out on the way home, which is never ideal, often being unhealthy and expensive. It can be hard to convince yourself that it is worth the time and effort to prepare meals when you are cooking for one.
What singles need from their meal service is the convenience of having tasty meals that are easy to order and cook.
What are the main benefits for singles to use a meal delivery service?
Meal delivery services offer the ultimate service of convenience for busy singletons. It can be hard finding the time or energy to cook for one person. Using a meal kit service means that someone else is doing the meal planning, grocery shopping, and portion control for you!
By using a meal kit service, you will know you have well-balanced, healthy, and delicious meals organized for the week. A meal delivery service also looks after portion control, so you will only be eating as much as you need. That will also help you minimizing waste.
The final appeal of a meal delivery service is that they can often save you money for a single person compared to buying all the ingredients from scratch.
Why use our meal kit reviews?
At the Meal Kit Review, we use experienced professionals to dig deep into each company that we review. Part of our extensive review process involves testing and tasting every company we review. This means that we can give accurate feedback on everything, from the registration process to meal selection and the taste!
Doing this for every company, you know that you can rely on our detailed reviews and comparisons. Besides, we also provide lists such as this one – our top recommended companies for different situations, dietary and lifestyle requirements, to name a few.
Our team is made up of seasoned professionals, all of whom have been using meal kit services for years. We are proud of the very involved processes that allow us to give you the most trustworthy, detailed feedback.
In our opinion, it is always best to experiment with at least two different companies. That way, you can compare the services and decide which is the best option for you. All services are very flexible. They offer the possibility to pause or get a box every other week, so it is super easy to try more than one option.