Meal kits are convenient, delivering pre-measured serving-sized ingredients for easy and enjoyable home cooking.
The meal-kit industry is constantly changing and evolving, so deciding which meal-kit service to order from can often be overwhelming.
Both make delicious and easy eating a priority – with pre-measured ingredients, but there are a few significant differences between the two.
HelloFresh has long been known as the number one meal kit company in the united states, with an affordable pricing point and great classic recipes each week.
Green Chef is a USDA-certified all-organic ingredients meal kit service specializing in several restrictive diets.
Green Chef Meal Plans
Which meal kit delivery service is better for your needs?
HelloFresh or Green Chef – Our Vote Goes To Hello Fresh!
In A Nutshell – Why Did We Prefer Hello Fresh?
- HelloFresh offers more meals per week.
- HelloFresh offers a more affordable price per meal.
- Flavorful meals are created for a balanced living while on a regular diet.
- Options for prepared meals and other add-ons.
Hellofresh and Green Chef Pros & Cons
Hello Fresh Pros
- Ample meal choices per week
- Fresh and affordable
- Supporting vegetarian, low-carb, and low-calorie diets
- Market add-on options
- No commitment whatsoever
- Not supporting keto, gluten-free and vegan diets
Green Chef Pros
- Organic ingredients, clean eating
- Supporting many dietary restrictions
- Fast cooking time, easy meal prep
- No commitment whatsoever
Green Chef Cons
- More pricy (but all organic!)
- Fewer meal options than Hello Fresh
Variety of Meal Plans
Green Chef offers three different meal plans, which come with the flexibility to change from week to week if you desire. You can also choose the regular plan that offers various meals for all dietary preferences.
Each meal plan can be delivered for two, four, or six servings per recipe and with three or four recipes per weekly delivery.
- Keto low-carb meal plan – Gluten-free and grain-free meals, perfect for variety while watching your carb intake.
- Gluten-Free meal plan
- Fast & Fit – With a diverse, flexible menu with plenty of healthy meal options, including meat, seafood, and vegetarian dinners.
- Vegan meal plan – With delicious plant-based proteins.
- Vegetarian meal plan – Well-balanced meatless recipes.
- Mediterranean meal plan – Focused on nice Mediterranean flavors with lots of good fats & veggies.
- Protein-Packed meal plan.
Green Chef Meal Plans
The Variety and Style of Weekly Meals
Green Chef offers weekly changing menus for different diet lifestyles, with a total of 30 recipes per week. The number of meals provided in each diet plan range from eight to ten, but you can also mix and match.
In comparison, Hello Fresh has a vast weekly selection of more than 30 classic recipes with an edge. The menu includes vegetarian meals, carb-smart options, gourmet-style meals, low-calorie meals, and more.
You are spoilt for choice with both companies, as they offer great diversity. You will find recipes that include beef, poultry, pork, seafood, and vegetables, ranging from Asian style, American classics, Mediterranean, to Mexican style meals, and more.
Our Experience With Green Chef & Hellofresh Meal Kit Companies
Our tasting experience with both companies has shown us that both Green Chef and Hello Fresh offers delicious, healthy, and filled with the freshest ingredients meals.
Green Chef is a big believer in providing the best organic meal kit options and catering to special diets, but the ease of meal preparation is also essential to them. Our meal kits included healthy and organic ingredients, which can be served on the dinner table within 30 minutes or less.
The philosophy of Hello Fresh is also about making sure that your meal preparation is an easy process. The recipes offered tend to focus on classic and favorite dishes with flavors and tastes that offer a sense of comfort. Yet, it is notable that the Hellofresh chefs continue to add new and exciting twists to most of the service delicious meals.
Recommended Hello Fresh Meal Kits We Tried
- Plant-Powered Kale & Bean Stuffed Peppers with Garlic Cilantro Rice & Chimichurri Sauce
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Pork Chops with Apple Pan Sauce, Scallion Mashed Potatoes & Roasted
- Caramelized Pineapple Chicken Tacos with Smoky Red Pepper Crema
- Venetian Scallop Spaghetti in a Creamy Burst Tomato Sauce with Parsley & Chives
- Cheesy French Onion Chicken with Garlic Bread & Lemony Roasted Carrots
Recommended Green Chef Meals We Tried
- Beef Tenderloin with Au Poivre Sauce with Maple Sage Sweet Potatoes & Lemony Asparagus
- Mozzarella-stuffed pork meatloaves with sautéed rainbow chard, cremini mushrooms & red pepper
- Sizzling Hoisin Shrimp with Ginger Scallion Rice & Roasted Green Beans
- Black beans & veggie burrito bowl with rice, guacamole, salsa, Cholula, cotija & tortilla chips
- Calorie-Smart Spiced Turkey Lettuce Wraps with Tomato, Garlicky White Sauce, Almonds & Hot Sauce
Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients of both Green Chef and Hello Fresh are of the highest quality.
Green Chef is a USDA-certified organic company. Because of this, the company only uses certified organic ingredients or sustainably sourced fresh ingredients from a trusted network of ranchers, local farmers, fishermen, and artisans.
While Hello Fresh does not use only organic products, they stress that their priority is helping customers get more fruits and vegetables in their daily diet. The service does guarantee that all their meats are sourced domestically and that all poultry and pork are hormone-free. Also, Seafood is always sustainably sourced.
The Delivery Box
Receiving a box from both Green Chef and Hello Fresh means that your delivery will arrive in a specifically designed and labeled delivery box. The inside of the box is designed to deliver the meal kits properly. Any proteins that require refrigeration are packed with an ample amount of ice and located at the bottom of the box.
With both Green Chef and Hello Fresh, each meal kit’s pre-portioned ingredients are sorted, labeled, and packaged in separate bags. This means that you require minimal sorting, and it is merely a matter of putting the meal kit ingredients away until you are ready to use them.
Moreover, for each recipe, you get a helpful recipe card with pictures of all cooking steps.
Ease Of Use Of The App & Website
Green Chef meal delivery service has a mobile-optimized website, so they do not offer a different app for their service. Anything you need to do to manage your account can be done effortlessly via their website. These include registering for their service, selecting your plan, choosing your weekly recipes for weeks in advance, changing your payment method, and even canceling your account.
Hello Fresh has both a website and an app, which is very user-friendly. You will also find that everything you need to manage your Hello Fresh account can also be completed online.
Plan Terms and Flexibility
To use the services of both Green Chef or Hello Fresh, a subscription is required. However, this subscription comes with a fair amount of flexibility:
- You can choose your meals or let them surprise you every week.
- You can skip weeks whenever necessary.
- You can easily cancel your account online with no hidden fees.
How much Does Green Chef & Hello Fresh Meal Delivery Services Cost?
Bottom line, let’s talk about the pricing! The price of your subscription with both HelloFresh and Green Chef depends on the number of weekly recipes and servings per recipe you choose. The price goes down as you choose more recipes per week and more servings per recipe.
Hello Fresh prices start at about $9 per serving, while Green Chef prices start at about $12 per serving (true to March 2023)
Bottom Line – Our Winner Is Hello Fresh!
We love our experience with both these meal kits, as they both offer excellent service that provides delicious and healthy meals using high-quality products!
Notably, Green Chef is more focused on healthy organic eating, supporting special diets like keto, Mediterranean, and vegan. While Hello Fresh is focused on delivering great classic meals for a regular diet, focusing on fantastic variety.
If we need to pick a winner, it would be Hello Fresh!
From our long-time experience, Hello Fresh offers excellent classic meals that come with a twist and are easy and fun to cook. Each meal we tried was a delight, AND the number of weekly meal options is almost too good to be true!
We also love the Hello Fresh packaging and how the delivery is so well organized and easy to unpack.
Lastly, Hello Fresh is also a more affordable meal kit option in comparison to Green Chef pricing.