If you are a busy parent who would love some help with getting healthy, home-cooked meals on your dinner table – this article is just for you!
A meal kit service specializes in providing easy-to-follow recipes of your choice combined with high quality, pre-portioned ingredients delivered directly to your door.
A meal kit service operates on a weekly basis and can provide the perfect solution to family mealtime stress! There are now so many meal kit services out there, but not all of them are necessarily suitable for families. But never fear, we are here to help, and in today’s article, we are going to rank the best family-friendly meal kits that are currently available.
What makes a meal kit delivery service suitable for a family?
Firstly, the service needs to be suitable for kids, who can quite often be picky eaters, but still appeal to the grownups. Secondly, the meals need to be quick and easy to prepare, so as not to make those busy evenings even busier! Lastly, the price of the service needs to be affordable so that it can fit into the family budget. There are quite a few family-friendly meal kit services that provide plans that are suitable for families.
We are happy to report that we have tried them all so that we could rank the best options for you! Here is our list of the best meal kits for families:
1. Dinnerly- Best Affordable option for Families
When you are feeding a family, often the budget is a super important issue which is why Dinnerly is such an appealing option for families!
To make it simple, Dinnerly is the most affordable meal kit option for you and your family in America! The company delivers simple and delicious meal kits, with a range of fuss-free recipes that suit both grownups and kids alike.
You might think that because the prices are low, the quality might not be as good as other meal kits. But our experience has shown us that when it comes to Dinnerly, nothing could be further from the truth. Dinnerly provides the same high-quality products as other competitors, but at a fraction of the cost. They do this by not getting involved in expensive marketing campaigns, using fewer ingredients per dish (which also means a simpler cooking experience for you), and delivering meal kits packed in fuss-free packaging.
Some great Dinnerly meal options for families:
- Extra Cheesy Calzone with Marinara Sauce & Sweet Bell Peppers
- St. Patty’s Shepherd’s Pie with Carrots & Peas
- Chicken Pad Thai with Carrots & Peanuts
- BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos with Sour Cream
2. Home Chef family Meal Kits Plan:
Home Chef is all about delicious home-cooked meals that are made using high-quality ingredients. Their meals are generally quite classic but include lovely modern twists of flavors and ingredients.
When it comes to family meals, Home Chef is very flexible. You can select up to 6 servings from each dish on the menu, so they are in fact the best meal kit for a large family!
Additionally, with Home Chef, you have the option to customize your meals, by changing or doubling the protein in your selected meals.
Here are some of the most popular Home Chef family-friendly meals:
- Sirloin steak with pesto butter with orzo and carrots
- Ranch chicken quesadillas with corn and salsa
- One-pot spicy turkey penne arrabbiata
- Pork meatballs with rice and snap peas
- See some of our actual tests with Home Chef
3. Sun Basket best meal kits for families
If you want your family to eat the healthiest of meals, Sun Basket is your choice! Sun Basket is all about healthy and easy home-cooking! All their ingredients are organic or sustainably produced, and they provide delicious fresh recipes that are delivered to your home on a weekly basis.
Sun Basket offers a Family Plan for 4 people which includes 2 to 4 meals per week. These meals are selected by you from a 6 meal selection every week! The Family Plan, which is more affordable than their regular Classic Plan, includes recipes that have been hand-picked by their chefs and are designed to please parents and kids alike. In addition, there is a “Kids Can” recipe instruction card. They also include in-box activities to help get the kids involved with meal preparation in a fun way. With the Sun Basket Family Plan, you will have a choice of favorites like pasta, tacos, and noodles, to ensure happy family meals every time. Sun Basket also offers some vegetarian meal options for the vegetarian families out there!
Here are our top picks from the Sun Basket family-friendly menu:
- Lemongrass pork meatball banh mi
- Turkey bolognese with fusilli, zucchini, and peas
- Mediterranean two-bean pitas
- Chicken fajita skillet with roasted red peppers and penne pasta
- Fresh whole wheat spaghetti with wilted greens and fried eggs
Sun Basket delivers to all 48 continental states in the U.S, and their menu includes meal options to cater to many other dietary needs such as vegan, vegetarian, paleo, Mediterranean, gluten-free, diabetes-friendly and more.
4. Hello Fresh family meal kit plan:
Hello Fresh is the biggest and most popular meal kit service in the US. The company is all about making your family weeknights easy and delicious! HelloFresh offers meal kit options with classic, tasty recipes that are healthy and easy to prepare. Their recipes include farm-fresh ingredients, with lots of fresh vegetables, that you and your family members will love to eat.
HelloFresh offers a special Family Plan that includes great recipes that are designed to please both the adults and the little ones in the family. In terms of price, Hello Fresh offers the most affordable Family Plan in the industry!
Here are some great examples of Hello Fresh family-friendly meals:
- Italian chicken over lemony spaghetti
- Hot honey chicken with BBQ-roasted potatoes and broccoli
- Maple-glazed pork chops with roasted potatoes and a green salad
- Better than takeout hoisin chicken with green beans and jasmine rice
- See here some of our actual HelloFresh tests
5. Fresh and Easy- Meal kits made for families
The newly released Fresh and Easy Plan by Home Chef is ideally suited for families. Whether your family is large or small, you will love the convenience and time-saving features of this family-friendly plan. This plan was designed by Home Chef to deliver home cooking meal solutions that are quick and easy to prepare and require minimum preparation and clean up. The ideal option for busy families who would like to spend more time doing things that they love.
With the Fresh and Easy Plan, you will find a menu that includes slow cooking meals, meals that can be ready within 15 minutes and grill and oven-ready meals. Some recipes such as the oven-ready meals even come with an oven-proof disposable tray, so no soaking or washing-up is required. You can select up to 6 meals per week for six people. Their changing menu includes at least eight recipes per week.
Here are some popular Fresh and Easy family-friendly meals:
- Cherry Mustard Meatballs with Parmesan Broccoli – oven-ready
- Lemon Chicken with Penne Alfredo and Peas – oven-ready
- Szechuan Pork Noodle Bowl with Crispy wontons – ready in 15 minutes
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Turkey Burger with Ranch Slaw – grill-ready
Home Chef delivers to 98% of the United States. Their Fresh and Easy Plan includes options for low-calorie, low-carb, vegetarian diets and more.
6. Martha and Marley Spoon- Friendly meal kits for Families
The one person who best represents healthy home cooking for families is Martha Stewart. This is why naturally, her meal kit company, Martha & Marley Spoon, is a great option for families!
The Martha & Marley Spoon meal kit subscription service is very much focused on the needs of family dinner time. The company offers a pleasing range of 22 meal choices every week. This menu has recipes that cater to many different dietary and lifestyle needs. You will find options for healthy lean meals, vegetarian meals, fast meals with a cooking time of less than 30 minutes, and of course many family-friendly options!
All their meals are comforting classics and are filled with high-quality fresh ingredients with a clear focus on well-balanced and healthy eating.
Here are our top recommended meals from Martha & Marley Spoon:
- Honey-Mustard Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Mashed Potatoes, Peas & Carrots
- Glazed Mini Meatloaves with Green Beans, Pesto & Crusty Bread
- Cheese Ravioli & 10-Minute Marinara with Green Beans
- Faster-Than-Takeout Chicken Wonton Stir-Fry
7. EveryPlate Family meal kit plan
EveryPlate is your best family-friendly meal kit choice if you are looking for an affordable option – with meal cost of only 5$ per serving!
The company offers a family plan for 4 people, with 2 to 4 meals to arrive per week. Their menu selection of eight meals per week is usually very classic and not over the head sophisticated, so their meals are sure to fit both the young and adults members of your family.
Here are a few examples of family-friendly every Plate meals:
- Creamy chicken with roasted potatoes and zucchini
- Swedish meatballs with roasted carrots and rosemary potatoes
- Pork and pineapple tacos
- Gnocchi with fresh mozzarella and roasted veggies
- Greek chicken pitas with sour cream tzatziki and potato wedges
As you can see, there is a large variety of meal kit service companies that offer some convenient and attractive solutions for families. In my opinion, it is best to experiment with all of them to truly experience the diversity on offer and to help you choose which is the best long-term option for you.
No matter which service you choose, these meal kits services will undoubtedly help your family to eat better. Meal kit services will also help you reduce the time that you spend thinking about dinner, grocery shopping and doing the meal preparations. So whether it be saving you time, reducing your stress or helping your family eat better, using a meal kit service provides a win-win for you!
What are the benefits of using a meal kit service for families?
One of the biggest issues that families face in our modern times is time! It is something that we never have enough of and can cause a great deal of anxiety, especially at mealtimes. Many parents state that one of their least favorite times of the day is family dinner time due to the stress involved. The beauty of meal kits is that they remove this stress and allow you to enjoy your evenings with your family by providing the following benefits:
- Convenience – meal kit services are all about convenience. They do the meal planning, recipe writing, grocery shopping and portion control for you. All you need to do is follow the easy-to-follow recipes with pre-portioned ingredients to provide healthy and delicious meals that kids and adults will love.
- Affordability – meal kit services generally are very cost-effective with portion-controlled ingredients which alleviates food waste. If you compare buying all your ingredients from scratch, you will be pleasantly surprised at how affordable these services are.
- High-quality ingredients – meal kit services are known for using only the best quality ingredients and for working with trusted suppliers and local producers.
- Expand your culinary horizons – using a meal kit service will give you access to culinary styles from all over the world, combined with the opportunity to taste an extensive range of ingredients, spices and seasonings.
- Time – ultimately by using a meal kit service, you be spending less time on meal preparation and cleaning up, and spending more time with your families in the evening.
What should you look for when choosing a meal kit service for your family?
Only you will know what the priorities are for your family, though the following is always a good place to start when you are looking for a meal kit service for your family:
- Cost – you will need to look at the average price per serving for each person so you can compare and work out which company best fits in with your budget.
- Flexibility – if you often go away or can’t commit to a service every week, check that the companies you are looking at offer you the flexibility to skip weeks when necessary.
- Beginner’s promotions – before you sign up for any company, make sure you check out any available promotions for new customers. You can access our list of beginner’s promotions here.
- Menu variety – check out present and future menus to make sure that the variety offered by each company will work for your family.
Why should you use our “Best meal kits for families’ review?
When you are first contemplating using a meal kit company for your family, it can be hard knowing where to start. The meal-kit industry is one that is populated with hundreds of different companies all offering different services and specialties, so when you first start venturing into the world of meal kits, it can be overwhelming. Our team makes sure that we complete an in-depth testing process for every company that we review. This includes subscribing, managing our accounts, making orders and most importantly, cooking and tasting the meals! By doing this, we can offer you all the information you need to assess the suitability of each company for your family. The beauty of our reviews is that we have done all the hard work for you! Instead of running around, spending hours on google, wading your way through hours of information and possibly contacting customer services, you can simply read our review! We provide you with all the information you need to decide which companies you would like to try first and which will be the best companies for your family.
Last Updated on