Last Updated on
If you are a busy parent who would love some help with getting healthy, home-cooked meals on your dinner table – this article is just for you!
A meal kit service specializes in providing easy-to-follow recipes of your choice combined with high quality, pre-portioned ingredients delivered directly to your door.
A meal kit service operates on a weekly basis and can provide the perfect solution to family mealtime stress! There are now so many meal kit services out there, but not all of them are necessarily suitable for families. But never fear, we are here to help, and in today’s article, we are going to rank the best family-friendly meal kits that are currently available.
What makes a meal kit delivery service suitable for a family?
Firstly, the service needs to be suitable for kids, who can quite often be picky eaters, but still appeal to the grownups. Secondly, the meals need to be quick and easy to prepare, so as not to make those busy evenings even busier! Lastly, the price of the service needs to be affordable so that it can fit into the family budget. There are quite a few family-friendly meal kit services that provide plans that are suitable for families.
We are happy to report that we have tried them all so that we could rank the best options for you! Here is our list of the best meal kits for families:
#1 Hello Fresh family meal kit plan:
Hello Fresh is the biggest and most popular meal kit service in the US. The company is all about making your family weeknights easy and delicious! HelloFresh offers meal kit options with classic, tasty recipes that are healthy and easy to prepare. Their recipes include farm-fresh ingredients, with lots of fresh vegetables, that you and your family members will love to eat.
HelloFresh offers a special Family Plan that includes great recipes that are designed to please both the adults and the little ones in the family. In terms of price, Hello Fresh offers the most affordable Family Plan in the industry!
Here are some great examples of Hello Fresh family-friendly meals:
- Italian chicken over lemony spaghetti
- Hot honey chicken with BBQ-roasted potatoes and broccoli
- Maple-glazed pork chops with roasted potatoes and a green salad
- Better than takeout hoisin chicken with green beans and jasmine rice
- See here some of our actual HelloFresh tests
#2 Home Chef family Meal Kits Plan:
Home Chef is all about delicious home-cooked meals that are made using high-quality ingredients. Their meals are generally quite classic but include lovely modern twists of flavors and ingredients.
When it comes to family meals, Home Chef is very flexible. You can select up to 6 servings from each dish on the menu, so they are in fact the best meal kit for a large family!
Additionally, with Home Chef, you have the option to customize your meals, by changing or doubling the protein in your selected meals.
Here are some of the most popular Home Chef family-friendly meals:
- Sirloin steak with pesto butter with orzo and carrots
- Ranch chicken quesadillas with corn and salsa
- One-pot spicy turkey penne arrabbiata
- Pork meatballs with rice and snap peas
- See some of our actual tests with Home Chef
#3 Sun Basket best meal kits for families
If you want your family to eat the healthiest of meals, Sun Basket is your choice! Sun Basket is all about healthy and easy home-cooking! All their ingredients are organic or sustainably produced, and they provide delicious fresh recipes that are delivered to your home on a weekly basis.
Sun Basket offers a Family Plan for 4 people which includes 2 to 4 meals per week. These meals are selected by you from a 6 meal selection every week! The Family Plan, which is more affordable than their regular Classic Plan, includes recipes that have been hand-picked by their chefs and are designed to please parents and kids alike. In addition, there is a “Kids Can” recipe instruction card. They also include in-box activities to help get the kids involved with meal preparation in a fun way. With the Sun Basket Family Plan, you will have a choice of favorites like pasta, tacos, and noodles, to ensure happy family meals every time. Sun Basket also offers some vegetarian meal options for the vegetarian families out there!
Here are our top picks from the Sun Basket family-friendly menu:
- Lemongrass pork meatball banh mi
- Turkey bolognese with fusilli, zucchini, and peas
- Mediterranean two-bean pitas
- Chicken fajita skillet with roasted red peppers and penne pasta
- Fresh whole wheat spaghetti with wilted greens and fried eggs
Sun Basket delivers to all 48 continental states in the U.S, and their menu includes meal options to cater to many other dietary needs such as vegan, vegetarian, paleo, Mediterranean, gluten-free, diabetes-friendly and more.
#4 EveryPlate Family meal kit plan
EveryPlate is your best family-friendly meal kit choice if you are looking for an affordable option – with meal cost of only 5$ per serving!
The company offers a family plan for 4 people, with 2 to 4 meals to arrive per week. Their menu selection of eight meals per week is usually very classic and not over the head sophisticated, so their meals are sure to fit both the young and adults members of your family.
Here are a few examples of family-friendly every Plate meals:
- Creamy chicken with roasted potatoes and zucchini
- Swedish meatballs with roasted carrots and rosemary potatoes
- Pork and pineapple tacos
- Gnocchi with fresh mozzarella and roasted veggies
- Greek chicken pitas with sour cream tzatziki and potato wedges
#5 Gobble meal delivery for a faster family dinner
When you have a full house on your hands, you have got to appreciate the Gobble promise – delicious, high-quality meals, ready in just 15 minutes! Gobble is a great meal kit service to use if you want an easy life. They provide a wonderful variety of tasty meals that can be quickly cooked at home. With Gobble, all ingredients are pre-portioned, pre-chopped, pre-peeled and pre-marinated, which means dinner will be ready in the shortest amount of time possible. If you have no spare time – Gobble is the meal kit service for you and your family!
Here are some great family meal choices from Gobble:
- Vegetable pad Thai with tofu & crushed peanuts
- Peking chicken with mu shu vegetables & bao buns
- Braised meatballs in Pomodoro sauce with polenta & Swiss chard
- Cubano pork tenderloin with black bean rice & zucchini
Gobble delivers to the continental U.S. with the exception of Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Nebraska. The company’s weekly menu contains 10 meals. Among them, you will be able to find vegetarian meals and low-calorie meals. Gobble also offers an appealing separate subscription for lunch meals.
As you can see, there is a large variety of meal kit service companies that offer some convenient and attractive solutions for families. In my opinion, it is best to experiment with all of them to truly experience the diversity on offer and to help you choose which is the best long-term option for you.
No matter which service you choose, these meal kits services will undoubtedly help your family to eat better. Meal kit services will also help you reduce the time that you spend thinking about dinner, grocery shopping and doing the meal preparations. So whether it be saving you time, reducing your stress or helping your family eat better, using a meal kit service provides a win-win for you!
What are the benefits of using a meal kit service for families?
One of the biggest issues that families face in our modern times is time! It is something that we never have enough of and can cause a great deal of anxiety, especially at mealtimes. Many parents state that one of their least favorite times of the day is family dinner time due to the stress involved. The beauty of meal kits is that they remove this stress and allow you to enjoy your evenings with your family by providing the following benefits:
- Convenience – meal kit services are all about convenience. They do the meal planning, recipe writing, grocery shopping and portion control for you. All you need to do is follow the easy-to-follow recipes with pre-portioned ingredients to provide healthy and delicious meals that kids and adults will love.
- Affordability – meal kit services generally are very cost-effective with portion-controlled ingredients which alleviates food waste. If you compare buying all your ingredients from scratch, you will be pleasantly surprised at how affordable these services are.
- High-quality ingredients – meal kit services are known for using only the best quality ingredients and for working with trusted suppliers and local producers.
- Expand your culinary horizons – using a meal kit service will give you access to culinary styles from all over the world, combined with the opportunity to taste an extensive range of ingredients, spices and seasonings.
- Time – ultimately by using a meal kit service, you be spending less time on meal preparation and cleaning up, and spending more time with your families in the evening.
What should you look for when choosing a meal kit service for your family?
Only you will know what the priorities are for your family, though the following is always a good place to start when you are looking for a meal kit service for your family:
- Cost – you will need to look at the average price per serving for each person so you can compare and work out which company best fits in with your budget.
- Flexibility – if you often go away or can’t commit to a service every week, check that the companies you are looking at offer you the flexibility to skip weeks when necessary.
- Beginner’s promotions – before you sign up for any company, make sure you check out any available promotions for new customers. You can access our list of beginner’s promotions here.
- Menu variety – check out present and future menus to make sure that the variety offered by each company will work for your family.
Why should you use our “Best meal kits for families’ review?
When you are first contemplating using a meal kit company for your family, it can be hard knowing where to start. The meal-kit industry is one that is populated with hundreds of different companies all offering different services and specialties, so when you first start venturing into the world of meal kits, it can be overwhelming. Our team makes sure that we complete an in-depth testing process for every company that we review. This includes subscribing, managing our accounts, making orders and most importantly, cooking and tasting the meals! By doing this, we can offer you all the information you need to assess the suitability of each company for your family. The beauty of our reviews is that we have done all the hard work for you! Instead of running around, spending hours on google, wading your way through hours of information and possibly contacting customer services, you can simply read our review! We provide you with all the information you need to decide which companies you would like to try first and which will be the best companies for your family.