Using a meal kit service can make your life much more comfortable and allow you to make great chef-designed meals without spending any extra time on grocery shopping!
When it comes to meal kit services, the options you have are endless, so deciding which one to subscribe to can be overwhelming. This is where the Meal Kit Review can come in handy!
Now you need to prepare yourself for another mega battle between two of the meal kit industry’s leading services –
Home Chef Vs. Blue Apron Comparison:
Variety of plans:
Home Chef offers flexibility with plans for two, four, or six person servings per meal. They have a minimum selection requirement of two dishes per week with no maximum requirements.
Blue Apron offers three plan options:
- Two-person plan with three recipes per week
- Family plan for four people
- Vegetarian plan for two-people
Variety of weekly meals
Home Chef has over 20 meals per week, including 5-minute no-cooking-required salad options, oven-ready, and grill-ready dinner meals. Their meals are designed to cater to many lifestyles, like vegetarian, low-calorie, low-carb. The company also offers a Fresh & Easy meal plan for super fast and easy to cook meals.
Also, Home Chef includes a new “Customize It” feature for most of their meals. This feature gives you the ability to change, double, or upgrade your selected meals’ protein type.
Blue Apron offers its customers 11 dishes per week in the classic two-person plan and seven dishes in the family plan. Some of these dishes may appear on both menus. You will find vegetarian options among their dishes, including Beyond Meat proteins, low-carb, low-calorie, and Weight Watchers options.
Blue Apron recently started also to offer customized options for the protein of your selected meals.
In terms of diversity, both Home Chef and Blue Apron meal delivery services offer meals with a great deal of variety in their ingredients. The culinary style of meals is broad – from Mexican or Asian style meals to American classics, Italian, etc.
Blue Apron and Home Chef – Style and Complexity of Meals
Both meal kit delivery service companies offer recipes that taste great. Everything we tried from their menus was delicious!
In our opinion, Home Chef is trying to focus on family home dinners, so the recipes tend to be quite classic, always with a nice added twist. The Home Chef recipes are never too sophisticated to cook, and all recipes arrive with an easy-to-follow recipe card.
On the other hand, Blue Apron offers many meal options that are a little more upscaled, but usually with easy-to-follow recipes.
A few examples of the dishes we tried from Home Chef: Corn and Black Bean Burrito, Salmon Tacos with Queso Fresco and Crispy Jalapeños, or a more classic dish like Steak au Poivre
Some Popular Meals
Home Chef meals:
- Pork Chop with Cranberry Demi-Glace and Roasted Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese
- Jalapeño-Popper Chicken with Corn and Zucchini
- Cajun Shrimp and Cheddar Grits with roasted red peppers and mushrooms
- Hoisin Steak Tacos with Asian sesame slaw and mushrooms
Blue Apron meals:
- Seared Scallop & Pancetta Fettuccine with Roasted Vegetables, Ricotta & Pistachios
- Chipotle Steak & Vegetable Tacos with Orange & Cucumber Salad
- Ahi Tuna Niçoise Salad with Purple Potatoes & Sherry-Dijon Vinaigrette
- Cool Cajun Chicken Lettuce Cups with Pickled Pepper Yogurt & Peanuts
Blue Apron and Home Chef – Quality of ingredients
After receiving meal kit boxes from both Blue Apron and Home Chef, we can safely say that both companies focus on delivering high-quality ingredients to their customers.
Home Chef has partnered with a selection of well-known quality producers to provide their ingredients. Some of these include Paysan Breton Butter, ‘World Wide farms’ for fresh herbs and vegetables, and ‘Sea to Table’ for sustainably sourced seafood.
When looking at Blue Apron, they guarantee only to use meats without added hormones. All their vegetables are farm fresh and organic where possible, and all seafood in their meals is sustainably sourced.
Home Chef meal delivery company offers few special features on their menu:
- A diverse selection of meals to cater to many dietary and lifestyle requirements. These range from fast and easy meals, low-calorie, and low-carb meals. They also have the optional add-on of protein packs.
- The Home Chef menu indicates any allergens in each recipe (nuts, milk, shellfish, wheat, etc.). It is important to note that even though their ingredients are individually packaged, the facilities are not certified as being allergen-free. Since they cannot guarantee that there might not be minor cross-contamination, we recommend that if you have a severe food allergy or intolerance, it is best NOT to use the service.
- The Home Chef menu has a “customize it” feature” that takes flexibility to the next level. This feature allows you to select the type and portion of protein in most of their meal selections.
Blue Apron offers a few unique features as well:
- Three plans selection – vegetarian diet, two-person, and four-person.
- As part of their menu selection, the company offers WW approved meals, low-calorie meals, diabetic-friendly meals, Mediterranean meals, and more.
- Option to customize the protein in some of your selected meals
- A large selection of wines as a monthly subscription plan, and even provides recommendations for the right wines to accompany each dish!
- A retail store with cookware and other necessary kitchen supplies.
Website and Ordering Process
Both companies offer a friendly and well-organized website, making it effortless to navigate and understand how to subscribe and order. Via the website, you can register online, choose and change your plan, specify your eating preferences, select your meals for upcoming weeks, etc.
You can also find information regarding the forthcoming menus and other general useful information.
Both Blue Apron and Home Chef offer an easy-to-use app to do all the things listed above.
Both companies offer a detailed FAQ section with answers to most questions that can come to mind. If you have any issues regarding your subscription, both have a customer service support team, as follows:
- Online form to the customer support center
- Home Chef customer support: phone (872)-225-2433 during the standard support hours of Monday-Friday from 9 am to 6 pm CST and Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm CST.
- You will find a “Get Help” icon in the bottom right of the screen when you enter the Blue Apron help center page.
- You can reach the Blue Apron customer support via phone at (646) 891-4349 or email at email@example.com.
Flexibility of Subscription
- Both Home Chef and Blue apron offers a “Customize It” feature, where you can swap or upgrade the proteins in most meals. With this feature, you can even make a meat meal to a vegetarian meal.
- Both services provide a subscription service with the flexibility to skip weeks if needed. They also offer the flexibility to pick your delivery day and edit your meal selection for a few weeks ahead.
- With Home Chef, you can cancel your account via the website. When canceling your account with Blue Apron, you need to contact customer support via email, with a same-day response.
- Both Blue Apron and Home Chef offers changing promotions for beginners, and there is the option to purchase a subscription as a gift card. We highly recommend it as a Thanksgiving or Christmas gift to your loved ones.
Both Blue Apron or Home Chef currently delivers to 98% of the United States. To see if the company provides to your area, you can enter your zip code during the sign-up process.
Bottom Line – Our Winner Is Blue Apron!
Both Home Chef and Blue Apron are fantastic meal kit service options. However, we found Blue Apron to be of favorite service of the two.
Mainly, We just loved the taste of their recipes and the variety of restaurant-quality dishes every week.
Moreover, we loved the portion size of the meals and the flexibility that the Customizing feature gives their customers!
Finally, we appreciated that they cater to many different dietary needs like vegetarian,low-calorie, or low-carb diet meals.
What are the benefits of using Home Chef and Blue Apron?
Our world has become fast-paced with many expectations placed on people to have successful careers, thriving families and busy social lives. Often we are so busy that the first thing we overlook is eating well. Meal kit delivery companies such as Home Chef and Blue Apron have been designed to combat the sense of overwhelm and have you eating better than ever before! They do this by providing meal kits that are filled with tasty and healthy ingredients combined with easy-to-follow recipes. Using a meal kit service like Home Chef or Blue Apron will mean that your dining horizons will expand and you will be able to enjoy new flavors, spices, and culinary styles. Meal kit delivery services are all about convenience and not only will you be eating well with meals that have are nutritionally well-balanced, but you will also be saving a significant amount of time. Because meal kit service companies do the meal planning, recipe writing, grocery shopping and portion control for you, your life will become significantly easier!
There are countless extra benefits to using meal kit delivery companies, especially in these frantically busy times. All you need to do is pick the meals that appeal, receive your delivery, unpack and store your ingredients and then start cooking! Then you can relax and enjoy your meal knowing that you have eaten well without all the effort.
What to look for when choosing a meal kit service like Home Chef and Blue Apron?
When deciding on which meal kit delivery service is best for you, there are many things to consider. If the cost is a priority, then firstly look at the bottom line. You might prioritize a service that is flexible allowing you to change plans, swap meals and skip weeks whenever required. If you love cooking and don’t mind spending time in the kitchen it is good to assess the styles of meals that are on offer. Some people would rather do anything else than be in the kitchen, so a meal kit company that offers easy-to-follow recipes would be more suited to you. We recommend you do your homework and firstly work out what your priorities are.
Why use our Home Chef vs Blue Apron comparison?
The meal-kit industry is one that has countless companies all offering difference specialties and services so it can be hard knowing where to start. That is why we recommend using our comparisons and company reviews.
At the Meal Kit Review, we have done all the hard work for you and you will be able to find all the information you need in one place. Our website has company profiles, meal kit comparisons, and lists of companies that are better suited for different requirements. Our team at the Meal Kit Review undertakes a thorough review process for every company that we profile. This includes subscribing, managing our account, assessing the menu, receiving deliveries, cooking and eating a range of meals. Our team spent a significant amount of time looking at both Home Chef and Blue Apron so we recommend our review as this is where you will find up-to-date, relevant information gathered from the first-hand experience.